family photo 2017 November

family photo 2017 November

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ethan

Ethan Riley Bjurstrom: Born June 24, 2011. 6 lbs 10 oz. 19.5 inches long. 4:49 pm.

Ethan's story began long before he was born. Steve and I prayed for children before we were married, and prayed that God would allow us to have children right away. Well, 4 months passed, then 6, then 9, then 12, and then 14. After 14 months of trying to have a child, we finally got pregnant; we were sooo excited; I was sick! At our 10 week baby appointment, we sadly found out our long waited for baby had no heart beat. The Lord gives and takes away; still we say blessed be your name! About two days after this I had a surgery procedure and then about two days after that I was extremely extremely ill; taking a whole row of medications for, what I was told, the adult form of the 'croup.' It was pretty painful as I mourned the loss of my child, was coughing terribly, and felt my throat closing up.

Two months later, we found out we were pregnant AGAIN! Sooo excited, yet plagued by fears. Also, so very very sick again; 24/7 nausea and violent vomitting episodes. Everyone would tell me "it'll be worth it," all awhile I kept thinking, "will it, I was just as sick last time and lost the baby." I eagerly waited for the Lord to help me work through my recent loss in order to be joyful about this new baby. Weeks passed and at 15 weeks we found out we were having a BOY! Early, I know, but it was pretty darn clear. Several ultrasounds and baby appointments later, Ethan was doing great and we praised God for every single appointment we had where we heard our little one's beautiful heart beat! What a joy! I finally felt I could be excited about the pregnancy, I think around 20 weeks!

Many more weeks passed, having nausea and vomitting the entire pregnancy. My belly grew, I felt baby move, and we began buying things for baby!


7 months-ish pregnant.


pregnant, new house, and hubby's new job!!

36 weeks pregnant...one week before Ethan.

On June 20th we closed on our new/first home, and moved in on Tuesday the 21st. My youngest brother was supposed to get married on Saturday June 25th, and on the 24th morning Steve and I were getting ready to head out of town to the wedding; we were supposed to sing 5 songs. HOWEVER, Mr. Ethan man decided this was the day he wanted to come. My water broke in the early morning, the midwives told me to go straight to the hospital, pitocin was started around noon, I had maybe 2 hours of hard labor, pushed for FIVE MINUTES, Ethan's shoulders got stuck, I pushed harder and HE WAS FINALLY HERE, MY BABY BOY, FINALLY!!!

However, the battle wasn't over. Ethan was in the NICU for 7 days for antibiotics, with Mom and Dad right by his side. Not everyone gets a 7 day 'baby training' course for their first baby! This is how we tried to look at our 7 days in the NICU!

AND HERE HE IS:


The evening he was born and wisked away to the NICU. :(
My sweet sweet boy!

Sooo little!

cute!

Being a family in the NICU

My boy spent many hours under the Jaundice light thingy...

Funny boy...this is how I use to lay in a tanning booth...ha.

Dad admiring his first born son.

GOING HOME DAY!!!

Finally home...

2 comments:

  1. Mel, I enjoyed everything you shared. It made me feel like I was a little part of your life. Beautiful job. Love you, team Bjurstrom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, I agree with Teresa, thanks for sharing your beautiful story! I'll be honest, it made me cry. I just really love you guys and what the Lord is doing in your lives.

    ReplyDelete